Celebrating 30 Years of Teaching Piano in the Fishers/Carmel area
Background: Sally Eppert is a music teacher with over 34 years of experience.
- BA in Piano Performance, DePauw University, Greencastle, In. 1984
- MM in Piano Teaching, Southern Methodist, Dallas, Tx., 1986
Sally has always maintained a full studio of private and group students of all ages from preschool class to adult class. Teaching and performing piano are her passions. This has been her only job as an adult. She also actively seeks out teacher training and trains other teachers so she can be the best teacher to each of her students.
She enjoys performing at area churches and weddings. This year, 2014-15, she enjoyed performing every Sunday morning for services at St. Marks United Methodist Church. She gave a full, 45 minute, solo piano recital in 2010. And performed with the Fishers Chamber Orchestra in their Holiday Concert in 2007.
Youth Performance: Her students enter and have won or placed at various local contests and scholarship auditions and most of the studio participates in the National Piano Guild Auditions in early June. Eppert Piano Studio has two studio recitals each year with everyone in the studio participating. Most years there is also an ensemble concert or collaborative concert!
Several of Sally’s students have gone on to major in music in college including Indiana University, Eastman School of Music and University of Indianapolis.
Adult Performance: Adult students are invited to attend Celebrations or Piano Parties. These get-togethers take place two times a year. Students have the opportunity to share music with their friends and families on a volunteer basis. This supportive environment allows students to nurture and encourage each other.
Professional Development: Sally is active in many organizations:
- President of Greater Indianapolis Music Teacher Assoc (2012-present)
- Vice-Pres. of Indiana Piano Teachers Guild (2014-2015)
- President of Indianapolis Piano Teachers Assoc (2007-09)
- Coordinator of National Piano Guild Auditions for Indianapolis (2010-present)
- Collaborative Chair for the Indiana Music Teachers Assoc (2014-present)
- Active member of Matinee Musicale and the Music Teachers National Association
Sally believes it is vitally important for teachers to keep up with the latest information and research available. That is why attending meetings and workshops is so important.
Workshops Sally helped organize for Indianapolis Area Teachers:
- 10/14 Michiko Yurko: Teacher/Student workshop at Meridian Music
- 4/13 Kevin Olson: at Piano Solutions
- 4/12 Melody Bober: at Piano Solutions
- 2/11 Paul Wirth: at Butler University
- 2/10 Robert Vandall: at Meridian Music
- 10/8 Catherine Rollin: at Meridian Music
- 2/8 Jane McGraw: at Meridian Music
- 6/7: Presented with Bev Strathman a 4-day teacher workshop on applying technique to the teaching of classical pieces at Piano Solutions.
- 6/06 and 6/05: Ann Collins: 4 day teacher workshops on Jazz Piano and Improvisation.
In addition to presenting at various local and regional piano teacher meetings, Sally presented a workshop at the Indiana Music Teachers Assoc State Music Convention, titled, “Jazz for the Middle School Piano Student.”
Sally just attended a 6 day training session in Columbus, Ohio with Bradley Sowash and Leila Viss on Improvisation and Chording. She also attended the National Music Convention in Chicago in March and the State Music Convention in November.
All of these conferences, meetings and workshops help to make the Eppert Piano Studio the premiere studio that it is.